Friday, 2 May 2014

The humble potato, so much more than just a chip.

Who would have thought that there was so much to a potato?  When I learned that the next challenge on the Craft Stamper blog was going to be potato printing I thought, hey, I've carved rubber, how hard can that be, but actually it did come with it's own problems and my first attempt ended up being trashed. Anyway, second time around it all came good and this is the first card cut from a sheet of potato prints.


The problems I came across the first time were that although potatoes are ridiculously easy to carve into, this means it's too easy to slice off bits by accident and other bits simply fall off after lots of handling. The other problem I found was using paint to print with gave a blotchy print, even if I used a brayer to add the paint to the potato. 


So my second attempt worked a lot better because after slicing the potato in half, I let it stand cut side down a while on some kitchen towel to soak up some of the moisture before carving. I used ink to stamp with and found the impressions so much better.

Now I'm going to stamp these a few more times on some paper before they shrink and start to rot away. 

Have a go for yourself and discover how much fun it can be. The prize is a pack of chipboard shapes from Calico Crafts and the blog is full of DT inspiration.

Next week I'll show you the second part of my potato printing adventure.

Jaine x

2 comments:

die amelie said...

Soooo brilliant! Love this, Jaine!!!

Claudia xx

Dots Dabbles said...

Hi Jaine...great tips! And it is amazing how long the potato actually stays good for. A beautiful design.
Dot x