I hope everyone had a good Christmas. The week in between Christmas and New Year is mostly a bit quiet so there's ample time to have a bit of a play around in the basement.
I've put together my altered book for 2011 and as promised I've taken some pictures with my new camera which Santa brought me, to show you how I did it.
I've selected a hardback book hoping this will be good and rigid. It's an old maths book from the recycling centre so I don't think it'll be missed.
I worked out that if I add an entry to my new journal every second Saturday, I would need to divide my book into 27 sections all held together with paper clips. (I included the last Saturday of the year which is December 31st) This gives me 27 double page spreads. My last couple of altered books have only used a single page per entry so I wanted to use a double page for a change. More artwork potential.
To prepare my book for 1st January, I took the first two sections and glued the pages together with gel medium. I remember doing this for the first time and keeping the book flat on the desk as I did this then realized I couldn't close the book when I'd finished. Don't make that mistake. Stick the pages together by pressing them towards the middle so you can close the book after.
When the glue had dried, I gessoed the pages to prepare them for painting on later.
So there we are, book prepared. On Saturday the 1st January I'll be posting the first double page spread and if you want to join in you're more than welcome to do so.